Department of Food Technology
- Department Profile
- Society & Activities
- Students' Achievements
- Mentor Mentee List
- Virtual Visit
Department of Food Technology
The Department of Food Technology offers a three year B.Sc. (Hons.) degree. Food Technology is the application of food science to the selection, processing, preservation, packaging, and distribution of safe, nutritious and wholesome food. It basically deals with the understanding of science and technology for processing and preserving of food. Food Science is an inter disciplinary science which employs life sciences, physical sciences, and engineering to study the nature of foods, the causes of their deterioration, and the principles underlying food processing. Therefore, Food Science and Technology is a multidisciplinary subject with sharp focus on subjects such as Chemistry, Biochemistry, Biology, Engineering, Nutrition, Microbiology and related technologies and does not seek to enhance gastronomical skills. The importance of food processing technologies cannot be over emphasised as it could accomplish the vison of being the food bowl of the world. This can be achieved through scientific know how, conserving food losses and wastages while providing safe and nutritious food for all in a sustainable way. With the growing challenges of climate change, global warming, receding natural resources and the recent pandemic the Food processing Industry, is still recognized as a dynamic and sunrise industry. Therefore, this niche course offers a unique blend of subjects which empowers the students with professional competence and expertise not only in food processing, packaging, food engineering but also hands on training in various Animal and Plant Food Technologies. Besides, emphasis on the importance of Food Safety and Quality Assurance, National and International laws and regulations with thrust on Food Quality Management which is imperative in the retail food value supply chain. The students are encouraged to appreciate the discipline of Food Technology holistically with its physicochemical, nutritional, microbiological and sensory aspects. The course contents have been so designed that it can keep pace with the dynamics of the food industry. The Learning Outcome-based Curriculum Framework (LOCF) of the University of Delhi aims to structure the teaching-learning experiences in a more student-centric manner. The curriculum focuses to enhance the students’ knowledge, skills and aptitude in the field of food technology. Efforts are made to measure cognitive as well as applied learning. Students are not only trained in the core components but also in areas which are need based, innovative and relevant keeping in pace with the fast-growing food industry. It helps the students in making informed choices which empowers them to pursue their passion for lifelong learning. The course is internationally competitive. Since, it is an interdisciplinary science it is recommended that subjects like Biochemistry, Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Statistics, Microbiology, Biostatistics, Physics etc be preferably chosen as the Generic elective (GE) by the students as they are synergistic to the curriculum. However, students are free to pick up any of the Generic Elective Courses offered by other departments. The various laboratories of the Food Technology Department are equipped with the state of art infrastructure and boasts of a Pilot Plant (mini food processing facility) which is a unique accomplishment for an undergraduate program. This includes a fruits and vegetable processing Unit- Canning Unit, Automatic Milk Processing Plant, Bakery Unit, various Packaging machines such as Modified Atmosphere Packaging, Inert gas packaging, Vacuum Packaging Machine, Form Fill and Seal Machine etc. Besides, a research laboratory which is equipped with sophisticated instruments such Gas Chromatography, Texture Analyzer, Bomb Calorimeter to name a few. These are imperative in offering experiential learning to the students in order to make them industry ready. The students are encouraged to take up various inter disciplinary mini research projects as well as collaborative industry academia projects to nurture innovation and enterprise. This facilitates them to cultivate a scientific aptitude for research as well as imbibe entrepreneurship skills to become prospective team players. All this is achieved under the supervision of highly motivated, experienced and committed faculty members. The department also organized educational tours, workshops, interdepartmental activities, conducts seminars encourages internships, field visits, industrial training and webinars. Students are encouraged to undertake summer projects in research laboratories of national repute and Food Industries. This year because of the COVID- 19 virtual internships are being organized by the department for the students. Scope of food technology in India is growing with increasing demand of innovations in food industry, a food technologist is not only involved in the food processing, but also in designing of the food plant and various equipment used in processing and proceed their career further in research sector. He/she can also involve in the safety and regulatory aspects of the developed product (Research scientists in DFRL,CSIR-CFTRI etc.),Job profiles which includes sales & marketing, supply chain management, Quality Assurance, Reseach & Development, inspection and accreditation of the food industry. Job opportunities in government sector (FSSAI,BIS,NABARD,BARC, etc.) and industries are hiring professionals from all around the country. Some of the top recruiters (MTR Foods Limited, AMUL, Dabur India Ltd, PepsiCo India Holdings, Britannia Industries Ltd, Nestle India Pvt. Ltd, ITC Limited etc.) are looking forward for the food technologists to explore and develop remarkably explorational products and technology with their technical skills and provide an advance vision to the food science and technology.
Department of Food Technology Faculty List
Dr. Eram S Rao
Associate Professor (Presently Vice-Principal)
Department of Food Technology Society Event Calendar for the Year 2020-21
Activity Calendar 2020-21 Link
Students Achievements- “Some Shining Stars of the Department”
1. Diksha Bansal B.Sc. (Hon) Food Technology Second position at “National Low salt cooking Challenge” Organised by FSSAI and Eat Right India received a cash prize of Rs 5000/- as Appreciation in March 2021.
2. Vaibhav Singh, FT 3rd year, was awarded PFNDAI Merit Cum Means Scholarship for the UG students of Food Science and Nutrition for the year 2020.
3. Vaibhav Singh, FT 3rd year, was awarded the Italian Technical Services ‘Food Safety Medal-2020’.
4. Nikhil Mishra, FT 1st year won the ‘best speaker for the motion’ award in debate competition held on February 16, 2021, organized by department of Zoology, BCAS.
5. Krishna Kumar Upadhyay, FT 3rd year, won 2nd position in ‘Food-o-Fire: Rapid Fire Competition, held on January 29, 2021 organised by Shaheed Rajguru College of Applied Sciences in collaboration with AFST(I) Haldia Chapter.
6. Akshat Kaushik, FT 1st year, won 3rd position in Sherlock Holmes quiz competition, held on January 28, 2021 organized by Department of Psychology, Shaheed Rajguru College of Applied Sciences.
7. Akshat Kaushik, FT 1st year, won 2nd position in treasure hunt competition, held on January 28, 2021 organized by Department of Psychology, Shaheed Rajguru College of Applied Sciences.
8. Gitesh Pal, FT 1st year, secured 1st position in SWITCGER-DO, an online writing competition held on January 24, 2021 organized by The Literary Club of BCAS.
9. Divyanshu Gupta, FT 2nd year, secured 3rd position at Delhi state bench press and dead lift organized by power lifting association of Delhi affiliated to Indian power lifting association held on January, 10, 2021.
10. Divyanshu Gupta, FT 2nd year, secured 1st position in North India bench press and dead lift championship organized by Spartan gym on December, 27, 2020.
11. Divyanshu Gupta, FT 2nd year, secured 1st position in North India bench press and dead lift championship organized by Spartan gym on December, 27, 2020. Diksha Bansal, FT 2nd year, secured First division in Nutrition, Diet and Health Management certificate course organized by YWCA of Delhi held in December 2020.
12. Krishna Kumar Upadhyay, FT 3rd year and Akshat Kaushik, FT 1st year, won 1st and 2nd positions, respectively, in online quiz contest on Food and Festivals held on November 7, 2020 organized by Department of Food Technology, BCAS.
13. G. Aparajita, FT 3rd year, won 1st prize for quiz on ‘Food Allergies’ held on November 1, 2020 organized by Department of Food Technology, BCAS.
14. Saamir Akhtar, FT 1st year, won 2nd prize in poster competition, held on October 31, 2020, organised by Swami Shraddhanand College, University of Delhi
15. Saamir Akhtar, FT 1st year, won 3rd prize in slogan competition, held on October 31,2020 organized by Swami Shraddhanand College, University of Delhi Saamir Akhtar, FT 1st year, won 1st prize in slogan competition, held on October 28,2020, organized by Keshav Mahavidyalaya, University of Delhi.
16. Saamir Akhtar, FT 1st year, won 1st prize in poster competition held from October 27 to November 2, 2020 organized by Bhagini Nivedita College, University of Delhi.
17. Saamir Akhtar, FT 1st year, won 1st prize in recipe competition held on October 23,2020 organized by Shyama Prasad Mukherji College, University of Delhi.
18. Saamir Akhtar, FT 1st year, won 1st prize in drawing competition, held on October 21, 2020 organized by Keshav Mahavidyalaya.
19. Saamir Akhtar, FT 1st year, won 3rd prize in doodle competition held on October 20, 2020 organized by Bhaskaracharya College of Applied Sciences.
20. Krishna Kumar Upadhyay, Ft 3rdyr; Aman Yadav, FT 1st year and Saloni Gayakwad, FT 3rd year, won 1st, 2nd and 3rd prizes, respectively in ‘Jingle-e-Food’ competition held on October 20, 2020 organized by Department of Food Technology, Bhaskaracharya College of Applied Sciences.
21. Asif Ahmed, FT 1st year, won 2nd prize, while both Saamir Akhtar and Aman Yadav won 3rd prize, in recipe competition held on October 16, 2020 organized by Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) and Quaker India.
22. Utkarsh Singh, FT, Final year, secured 3rd position in ‘Please Present’ event, held from October 6 -16, 2020, organised by Department of Food Technology, Annasaheb Dange College of Engineering and Technology, Ashta.
23. Aman Yadav, FT 1st year, won 1st prize in slogan writing competition held on October 16, 2020 organized by Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) and Quaker India.
24. Aman Yadav, FT 2nd year, won 3rd prize in recipe competition held on October 16,2020 organized by Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) and Quaker India.
25. Saamir Akhtar, FT 1st year, won 3rd prize in Gandhi art competition held on October 2, 2020 organized by Shivaji college, University of Delhi.
26. Saamir Akhtar, FT 1st year, won 1st prize and a cash prize of Rs.1200 held on September, 11-18, 2020 in National recipe competition organized by Department of Food Technology, Bhaskaracharya College of Applied Sciences.
27. Aman Yadav won 2nd prize in slogan writing competition organized by Department of Food and Nutrition and Food Technology, Institute of Home Economics, University of Delhi during PoshanMaah celebrations 2020 in the month of September 2020.
28. Saloni Gayakwad and Utkarsh Singh were ranked best and 3rd best, respectively in college cadre in the National Food Pyramid project held in the month of August organised jointly by Indian Federation of Culinary Association (IFCA) and Tag Taste Foods.
29. Saamir Akhtar won 3rd prize in national poster competition held from June 6-11, 2020 organized by Department of Food Technology, Bhaskaracharya College of Applied Sciences.
Mentors Mentees List
Mentor Mentee List 2021-22- Link