Department of Mathematics
Department of Mathematics
Mathematics is a more powerful instrument of knowledge than any other that has been bequeathed to us by human agency. — Rene Descartes
Mathematics is an integral part of human thought and logic, and crucial to help understand the world and ourselves. Mathematical knowledge plays a critical role in understanding other fields, be it sciences, social sciences, and even music and art.
Understanding and competence in applying the fundamental mathematical tools is often required to do serious study in any field of science. Role of mathematics in various disciplines of physical sciences is well established.Studies in life sciences benefit greatly from insights derived from mathematics. Progress in biomedical research increasingly requires mathematical approaches. The theoretical description of the properties of polymers involves use of a wide range of mathematical sciences techniques. The role of mathematics in food technology and microbiology is also immense. Food processes, problems related to bacterial growth in food and other areas of predictive microbiology are studied using mathematical modeling techniques.Industry managers, engineers, researchers and scientists require mathematical tools to find solutions to a variety of problems.
Department of Mathematics,being an integral part of the college has been catering to courses in the college. At present, it offers General Elective papers in mathematics for all courses of the college. The Department room is well equipped with computer, printer and scanner. Mathematics plays a critical role in many competitive examinations for higher studies. It helps prepare the students for today’s ever evolving world of competition and carve a professional niche.
SyllabusFor more details regarding syllabus and scheme please refer to the following links:
Generic Elective Papers for Honors CBCF (LOCF) (2019 onwards)
Society & Activities
- Lecture on 'Logic and Fuzzy Logic' by Prof. S.C Arora, former HOD, Department of Mathematics, University of Delhi
- Lecture on 'Vedic Mathematics' by Dr Anuradha Gupta, Associate Professor, Department of Mathematics, DCAC,University of Delhi
- Workshop on 'Mathematics Beyond Theoretical Perspective'
- Talk on 'Power of Habits' by Amogh Lila Das,VP, Iskcon,Dwarka
- Remedial classes to help students understand the subject better. These classes were held for General elective Paper GE-1 (Calculus) for several courses of college
- ‘Click and Share’ Competition was conducted wherein students were encouraged to observe the world around them, click a picture and share it along with mathematical concepts that they see in it.
- ‘Rangoli Designing Competition’ was conducted in which students designed Rangoli using numbers, geometrical shapes and mathematical symbols only.